- All tourist/visitors arriving in Leh must undergo at least 48 hrs of acclimatization before initiating their journey to high altitude areas
- Road travel does not help at all in acclimatization. It builds up the altitude effect progressively.
- Tablet Diamox-250mg (acetazolamide) must be taken twice a day, after breakfast after dinner at least two days before starting journey to Leh and should be continued for two days more, after arriving at Leh.
- There should be no active physical exertion on the first two days of arrival in Leh.
- Tourists should have at least 2-3 ltrs. of water per day and should avoid alcohol, smoking cigarettes and sedatives
- Tourists should have a light meal on the first day of arrival to avoid indigestion.
- In case of symptoms of HAPE/HACE kindly consult a doctor immediately.
- Lack of Concentration
- Disturbed sleep
- Loss of appetite.
- Irregular breathing
- Take complete rest for 24 to 36 hrs
- Avoid excessive sleep during day time.
- Avoid sleeping pills, alcohol and smoking
- Take an adequate amount of fluid 2-3 Itrs.
Symptoms of High-Altitude Pulmonary Edima (HAPE) and High -Altitude Cerebral
Edema (HACE) can be life threatening and fatal
In case of any emergency kindly contact the following telephone No.
1. CMO office Leh 01982-252012
2. Medical Superintendent, SNM Hospital Leh 01982-252014
3. Casualty SNM Hospital Leh 01982-053629